January 11, 2010

Something New

Kobold has been asking for us to try something new; Indian food. I'm not well-acquainted with such things and despite being fairly adventurous, I'm not the type of girl who will eat anything (ie: Kobold is excited about the prospect of trying some Norwegian/Icelandic rotting shark something-or-other.. aka: Hákarl ). Indian food is one of those things that I was sort of on the fence about. I say "was" because he convinced me to go to India Palace (menu/info here for you lovely readers)

It's once more Zagat rated and wonderful. At this point, I really ought to stop questioning him. We went with Ghryc on a Saturday evening and were pleasantly surprised, the place was quasi-busy but seated us right away. The service was impeccable and the prices are reasonable.

They do offer many appetizers, including a staggering assortment of Naan - but we skipped this in order to save room for the meal. They did bring us some complimentary naan (kind of like whole-grain water crackers.. funny-shaped) along with 3 different 'standard' sauces.... red, green and poo-colored. I can't tell you what they were, but the poo-colored was my favorite. It was sweet-ish, the green was more mild and the red was hot-sweet.

Kobold had the KEEMA Lamb, which doesn't necessarily LOOK super-appetizing but I assure you, as I did take a taste, it is amazing. A bit of a kick but not enough spice to deter my Midwestern tastebuds. Kobold decimated this meal in under 15 minutes but stated that he was happily full. The portions look small but added in with the Naan they bring at beginning, plus rice, it was a goodly amount of food.

Ghryc had the goat curry and, per usual, ordered it in "kill me please" hot. Even the waiter asked at least twice to make sure he wasn't just being boastful. He wasn't, and he was pleased with the outcome. It too looked a little...interesting in presentation, but also came in a portion that filled him up and he said it had good flavor and wasn't just "American hot" (ie: hot without any kind of good taste). Special note: the Goat does not come de-boned, so be careful.

I had the chicken Kabab, which comes on a chili's-esque cast iron skillet-dealie, in cahoots with onions, peppers, lemon wedges and an orange slice. It was very good -tasty like.. spicy (but not too spicy) chicken... "molded" FYI, means "squished around the stick so it looks like a sausage." Again, not something I had known about the presentation, but it was quite yum-tastic.

We were intrepid enough to try dessert, too. I initially wanted GAJJAR HALWA, but the waiter said they were out. Sad panda. I settled for KHEER, as I am a gigantic fan of saffron (ok, maybe an addict - it's hard to get saffron anywhere). It was very good, huge portion and came in a banana split boat. Hooray! Kobold had the RAS MALAI and I have to admit, it was good too, though I am generally not a fan of cheese in my deserts.

No comments:

Post a Comment