July 29, 2015

Porkin' your..sammich

I wasn't going to say your mom, I swear. Ok I probably was.

So picture this: It's a weekend morning, Miss Rabbit is still sleepin' from working the street all night. I'm chatting two friends. One in the South, one in the North-East. One is telling me to cook. The other is bragging about her family recipe for Pernil.

So after realizing I'm not going to marinate my pork all night, nor am I going to find some of the ingredients I'm wanting to do that, I go another route.

Kobold's Fancy Freaking Pork Sammiches


So, it isn't hard. I didn't marinate for hours. I didn't do a fancy brine. The only suggestions I have are find fresh rolls, and make sure you have some time to slow cook. How long? I did like 8 hours. Some people will want 2937837 hours. It's really up to you. Remember, don't let your meat go dry. Then it just becomes jerky. And while jerky is awesome, it makes a sad sammich.

Whatcha Need Poppa?


  • Pork - As much as you want. In the end ours was about 2 lbs.
  • SO many garlic cloves - to taste here.
  • About 1 tblsp. each:
    • Cumin
    • Tumeric
    • Salt
    • Pepper
    • Chili Powder
    • Oregano
    • Paprika
  • A couple basil leaves
  • Water for the bottom of your pan
  • A little Olive Oil
  • About 1 tblsp. of lemon/lime juice
  • About 1 tblsp. white vinegar
  • 2-4 Tblsp. of flour

Lets get fancy


  • Cut a grid into your pork
  • Stuff your grid with garlic cloves
  • Rub your oil on your meat
  • Squirt a little lemon/lime juice.
  • Pour your vinegar over it all

  • Mix all your spices. Sprinkle them all over the meat - You WANT some of it in the pan! Really!
  • Drop your basil leaves in the pan
  • Put a bit of water in the pan

  • Throw it all in the over at really low, like 200 degrees. For ever. FOR EVER. 

  • Pull pork out and shred that ho. 

  • Put your pan on a burner on medium to medium high heat. Start mixing those drippins and water with a bit of flour. I started with 1 1/2 tbslp. You're going to mix this in, stirring a the whole time. This will thicken. When this thickens to your liking, it's gravy!
  • Cut bread
  • Put meat in bread
  • Add Gravy
  • EAT IT

No comments:

Post a Comment